2 Early Stage Researcher Positions
Two Early Stage Researcher (ESR) / Ph.D positions are offered in the context of the H2020 Innovative Training Network (ITN) project SPOTLIGHT, focused on the design and optimization of a beyond 5G disruptive mobile network architecture that exploits massively distributed MIMO, big data analytics and cloud-empowered network management. More information on the project can be found here: http://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/205539_en.html.
We are looking for highly motivated, enthusiastic junior scientists, with an MSc in electrical engineering or related fields, aiming at significantly improving their career perspectives in both public and private sectors. Excellent research skills and analytical abilities are required, fluency in English (spoken and written), proactive communication skills and problem solving as part of a team, strong record keeping, great work ethic and initiatives are essential characteristics.
These positions are fully funded for 3 years by the European Commission under the H2020 Marie Curie Innovative Training Network Programme. The recruited ESRs will be highly encouraged to enroll to the Network and Information Technologies Ph.D. programme (UOC).
The two ESRs will benefit from an ambitious high-quality International training programme in the framework of the SPOTLIGHT project.
AVAILABLE RESEARCH POSITION
In this context, two positions are offered by Open University of Catalonia (UOC), located in Barcelona, Spain. The positions will be oriented towards future 5G networks and architectures, including concepts such as:
- Network function virtualization and resource slicing
- Software Defined Networking (SDN) principles
- Edge cloud/fog network architectures
- 5G architectures and concepts (C-RAN, F-RAN, etc.)
- mmWave communications
The specific descriptions of the two open positions are given below:
- Ref: ESR1_UOC_SPOTLIGHT
The ESR will focus on the design and optimization of efficient algorithms for fronthaul/backhaul networks, in the context of 5G networks with dense heterogeneous deployments (C-RAN, small cells, etc) and novel transmission techniques (mmWave communications, massively distributed MIMO, etc.). Network function virtualization and dynamic resource slicing will play a key role in the allocation and orchestration of the available network resources.
Mobility requirement: Within the duration of the project, the ESRs will perform a secondment of up-to 6 months at NESSOS, Athens, Greece (http://www.nessos.gr/), one of the SPOTLIGHT industrial partners.
- Ref: ESR2_UOC_SPOTLIGHT
The ESR will focus on the design of innovative caching techniques, taking into account the principles of information-centric networking. The capabilities of novel 5G underlying architectures will be exploited, including edge/fog cloud computing principles and SDN centralized control.
Mobility requirement: Within the duration of the project, the ESRs will perform a secondment of up-to 6 months at MTN, Nicosia, Cyprus (www.mtn.com.cy), one of the SPOTLIGHT industrial partners.
The candidates must have a strong mathematical background, fluency in English (spoken and written) and excellent analytical and writing skills. Experience in optimization, game theory, stochastic modeling and network virtualization will be highly appreciated.
- The recruited researchers should be, at the time of selection, in the first four years of their research careers (measured from the date when they obtained the degree which would formally entitle them to embark on a doctorate).
- The applicants should not be in possession of a doctoral degree, but they should have the qualifications to embark on a PhD program.
- The applicants (regardless of their nationalities) must not have resided or carried out their main activities (work, studies, etc.) in Spain for more than 12 months in the last 3 years.
Marie Curie ITNs provide competitive financial support to the ESR including:
- a competitive monthly living and mobility allowance,
- coverage of the expenses related to the participation of the ESR in research and training activities (contribution to research-related costs, meetings, conference attendance, training actions, etc.).
The recruited researchers will have a regular contract with the same rights and obligations as any other staff member. The ESR should start within 2 months of the acceptance of the fellowship.
To apply, please provide:
1) a cover letter indicating the applied position(s) and justifying your suitability
2) a detailed CV and complete transcripts
3) the name and address of two referees to support your application.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com
All applications will be evaluated by a committee with equality and based strictly on the candidates’ skills and eligibility, whereas issues as gender, ethnicity, disability, etc. will be irrelevant to the selection.
The closing date for applications is May 15, 2017.